Welcome fellow fogys to our very own forum!
Here we over-fifty fogys can gather together to be un-hip, un-slick and way un-cool. Be it comments, advice, ideas, musings, opinions, secrets or flat-out lies, feel free to weep, wail, gnash your dentures and dump your baggage at the forum door.
In addition to all the above, I urge you to contribute anything that floats your boat; photos, videos, songs, poetry, et al,; just as long as its done in the spirit of good, clean fogyfun.
Come on, fogys, let's roll!
Happy NEW Forum for folded fOgies!
ReplyDeleteEach of us has a hope that we will accomplish something worthwhile during life. Some of us will perform it, write about it, or go gently into that good night as Dylan Thomas warned:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
---Dylan Thomas 1914-1953
Often I muse (to my self) about what people did before the electronic social world arose and had only pencil and paper. Maybe not even that much while crossing the Great Divide heading West to unknown territory. All those folk are not remembered because they did not have the ease and facility we do now. Conestoga Wagons did not have WiFi, let alone electricity. They went off into oblivion until the invention of telegrams.
Early immigrants from Europe found the same effect, sometimes starting a whole new family and forgetting the old. Let’s not get forgotten. Perform, Publish or Perish. -=w=-
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have been warned to write what I know so others will know what I thought. I think that most of what I have to say (or write) is not that important. So I have not. I also have not read much of what others wrote… for fear of possibly copying some of it. Plagarism is peutred.
ReplyDeleteNow I think I better get started annotating my life… because there IS no one else who knows it as well as I do.
There are so many papers and pictures in my collection which prompt stories of my past. They are still awaiting treatment. Travels to Russia, Beirut and Mother Teresa got documented, but not my own travails. -=w=-
I am honored to have "Out and About" as a contributor {the only one so far)to fogyforum. O&A is an award-winning newsman and investigative reporter who has traveled the globe gathering information for unique feature articles and off-the-wall stories that no other reporter was ever able to get. He is also my dear friend of thirty years.
ReplyDeleteKeep it going, O&A!!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe Colts Nation is rampant with expectations of (Andrew)Luck. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteYou might get what you pray for. So many Colts star performers are moving away. Peyton Manning is now a Bronco. Along with Peyton, Dallas Clark has an official "Thanks" pasted on the walls of Lucas Oil Stadium. But he has no place to go, yet.
The world is changing. Revolving. Revolting.
Peyton Manning's Quarterback Idol Dan Marino is becoming the official men's voice for AARP. He just got his membership card. Peyton won a SuperBowl. Marino did not. But he still has his hair. And a younger quarterback is about to replace Peyton, who replaced Marino... in our minds.
Losing your hair and falling asleep in your favorite chair is a sure sign of aging. Another is seeing Dan Marino telling us to think old. With a smile.
This is going to be a great forum, Sal Sal. Thanks for the creation. Just one question: since I was invited to join, am I now considered an old "fogy"?
ReplyDeleteRobovin:
DeleteYes. Anyone who wants to participate is a self-admitted fogy.
Get Orvin Fogy to say a few words.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI made a horrific discovery this AM as I did my daily heavy-duty-black-and-decker industrial-strength makeup job; aka my "game face."
ReplyDeleteMy eyebrows are going away!!! Does anyone know where eyebrows go when they go away? Thad and Richard: you two can make yourselves invisible...do you know what happens to eyebrows?
Sorry, I wouldn't know, my eyebrows are too busy hiding under my hair!
DeleteI would hope they go to "Eyebrow Heaven" or they may have just turned invisible.
DeleteI remember one time when Richard was snapping himself invisible, only one half of his body went invisible and he thought he was totally invisible. He then started flipping everybody the bird and they could see him. (Not a good scene)
That is all myth!
DeleteNo, rdm, that is not myth! I saw the half of you that did it!
DeleteI never understood ladies that plucked their eyebrows out, then painted them back on. What's up with that? And Sal, you are just as beautiful with or without your makeup. Does that earn me another ham and cheese croissantwich
DeleteTHIS IS WHY THE WISDOM OF OLD PEOPLE IS NOT TO BE SNEEZED AT ...
ReplyDeleteA farmer stopped by the local mechanics' shop to have his motor fixed. They couldn't do it while he waited, so he said he didn't live far and would just walk home.
On the way home, he stopped at the hardware store and bought a bucket and a gallon of paint. He then stopped by the feed store and picked up a couple of chickens and a goose. However, struggling outside the store, he now had a problem, how to carry all his purchases home.
While he was scratching his head, he was approached by a little old lady who told him she was lost. She asked, "Can you tell me how to get to 3 Mockingbird Lane?"
The farmer said, "Well, as a matter of fact, my farm is very close to that house. I would walk you there, but I can't carry all this."
The old lady suggested, "Why don't you put the can of paint in the bucket, carry the bucket in one hand, put a chicken under each arm, and carry the goose in your other hand?"
"Why, thank you very much," he said and proceeded to walk the old girl home.
On the way, he said "Let's take my short cut and go down this alley. We'll be there in no time."
The little old lady looked him over cautiously and then said, "I am a lonely widow without a husband to protect me. How do I know that when we get in the alley you won't hold me up against the wall, pull up my skirt, and have your way with me?"
The farmer said, "Holy smokes, lady! I'm carrying a bucket, a gallon of paint, two chickens, and a goose. How in the world could I possibly hold you up against the wall and do that?"
The old lady replied, "Set the goose down, cover him with the bucket, put the paint on top of the bucket, and I'll hold the chickens." ...
I don’t do FaceBook. Therefore, I can’t be "liked." -w-
ReplyDeleteO&A: I'm so sorry to hear that you don't feel "liked!" Have you tried tweeting of twittering? Do you have an Android or a Smart Phone or a Blackberry so you can text/email/check your calendar/watch movies while you drive and get your very own private weather alerts?
DeleteSurely you don't curl up with a book like you used to do. And I'll bet you still use snailmail...don't you???
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Deletenope to all mentioned -w-
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have a Saturday brunch acquaintance who contends he was mildly despondent last week. He is not much improved this week.
ReplyDeleteHe thinks he missed his opportunity. If he dies now he will be noted as someone who “had a full life.”
If he died when younger he could have been labeled “he had so much to live for.”
He is distraught (mildly) over the fact he did not decide soon enough. He smiles through all of this.
I just nod. -=w=- 07-19-08
Travel can be boring. OR if you are with me, fun. Try talking to everyone you meet. Any contact can be very revealing. I find most people are dying to talk about themselves. Within a minute you get their entire resume`.
ReplyDeleteRecently, while waiting in the Indianapolis Airport I noticed a face appeared in my peripheral view. This little (black) girl, probably 3-4 years old, was standing in the row of chairs behind me. I looked at her. She glowingly volunteered: “I’m a kid.” It was as simple as that. I countered: “I am too.” She responded: “No, you can’t (be). You are too big.” No, I am a Big Kid.
It was as simple as that. And she disappeared. But I remember her by recounting this moment, everyday… to everybody. Such insight! -w=
A young far-from-fogydom friend tells the tale of how he rigged the door to his college dorm "Lust Loft" so only the very slim and svelte female coeds could slither through. He called this his "Lard Guard." Would you say this is a blatant case of "Spatial" profiling?
ReplyDeleteI would say it was a wise move.
ReplyDeleteI would also bet that as the night grew longer and many more adult beverages later, with no arrivals of his "Slim and Sveltes", his rigged door opened wider and wider.
I had a similar situation many years ago with my car door on the passenger side, due to a car wreck. I joked that no girl with heft could fit in the banged up door.
What usually happened was that I would get in the passenger side (Becuse of to many cocktails) and have "Slim or Svelte" drive me home and tell them they had to spend the night because I could not drive.
I am so glad my Geezer aged brain can remember this stuff.
You really were a SOG! Glad the adult beverages are under control!
DeleteSal,
ReplyDeleteGot any Memorial Day wreaths made yet? Your wreaths are so pretty they are UNBEWREATHABLE!!
No memorials here!
ReplyDeleteFor a long time I have had a password “sleepy” because I was. When it came time to formalize that fact came when the newsroom in Kentucky entered the computer world. Each of us had to itemize a password for the system. Without thinking, I entered “sleepy.” I constantly complained of being tired… on the job and off.
Now that I am undergoing hormone treatment for my diagnosed prostate cancer I notice even more tiredness. And listening to women cheer frequent naps to cope with their hormone imbalances… I agree and take a nap. Or two. I also experience hot-flashes as women do, but apparently not as violent.
Someday I will be without the hormone shots. Let’s see IF I will still have “sleepy” as a password.
-w-
Welcome back, O&A! Finally, you answered some of my questions about how you're feeling. Just remember, you can always change your password: "Dopey," "Grumpy," or even Snow White. Whoever you are, I'm glad you're back in the fogyfold!
Deletethat was not an answer. That was a statement. =w=
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Delete